This Banana Cake with a Salted Caramel Frosting is a treat that all your loved ones will thoroughly enjoy.
Its prepared when two layers of a delicious banana cake are topped with a sweet and salty caramel sauce, an amazing caramel frosting and then topped with crunchy walnuts/pecans and sweet banana slices.
For the perfect banana cake to use, my widely loved banana cake recipe is a hit every single time!
For the Caramel sauce:
- ¼ cup (56g) unsalted butter, diced into cubes
- 1 cup (210g) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (160ml) heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ tsp Morton Fine Sea Salt
- 2 pinches Morton Coarse Sea Salt, for topping
For the Frosting:
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter
- 3 cups (390g) (360g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup caramel sauce (from above)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, diced, for topping (optional)
- ½ cup chopped pecans/walnuts, for garnish (optional)
- Semi-sweet chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
1.Start with preparing the banana cake as directed and set aside to cool completely.
2.To make the caramel sauce:
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, water and sea salt then set over medium-high heat and whisk constantly until it begins to boil, then allow mixture to boil until it turns to a rich amber color.
- Using a long handled whisk, immediately mix in the butter then remove from heat and whisk in the cream.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes then pour into a glass bowl or jar and chill until completely cooled.
3.For the frosting:
- Whip the butter until light and fluffy.
- Then add in the powdered sugar, ½ cup of the cooled caramel sauce, sea salt and vanilla and mix until well combined and slightly fluffy. You can chill until it becomes a more firm consistency if needed.
4.To assemble cake:
- Spread about half of the frosting over first layer of cake then drizzle and spread a fair spoonful of the caramel sauce over the frosting. Then top with the second layer of cake and add the remaining frosting.
- Right before serving top with the bananas and nuts, then drizzle over the remaining caramel sauce, sprinkle with shaved chocolate and coarse sea salt.
5.Serve and enjoy.