This incredible Fudgy Chocolate Cake topped with chocolate ganache, is sure to satisfying your chocolate cravings! The cake is so rich, moist and decadent, with the right balance of fluffy and fudgy!
This cake is meant to be fudgy and very moist, so If you like a fluffier cake, use 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Be careful not to add too much baking powder though because your cake will rise too much and crack through the middle.
The batter is quite light and watery when you first mix it together, but do not worry, that’s exactly how it should be as that is actually where the fudge-like texture comes in!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose or plain flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup boiling water mixed with 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 ½ cups white granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup heavy cream or thickened cream
- 8 oz. (250g)semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan with non stick cooking oil spray and line the base with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and whisk thoroughly to combine well.
- Add the oil, egg, vanilla and milk to the flour mixture and beat for about half a minute until well combined.
- Pour in the boiling water with the coffee and mix until glossy.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out semi-clean with a small amount of cake, not runny batter, on it due to the fudgy texture.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes then transfer cake from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Add the cream into a small saucepan and heat over low heat for a few minutes. It shouldn’t boil or simmer it, once the cream is hot, turn stove off and take the saucepan off the heat.
- Add in the chocolate chips and cover the saucepan with a lid and allow to sit for 5 minutes to soften and melt the chocolate.
- Uncover, and stir slowly first, with a wooden spoon, gradually mixing faster until ganache is smooth, creamy and glossy.
- Refrigerate for about one hour or hour and a half until thick enough to spread.
- Spread evenly over the cake.
- Serve and enjoy.