Ceviche also known as cebiche, seviche, or sebiche is a healthy Peruvian dish that is generally made from raw fresh fish or shrimp, that’s marinated in lime or lemon juice. The acidity in the citrus cures the fish causing it to denature the proteins and become firm and white/opaque while absorbing flavor.
Make sure that the fish you use for ceviche is sashimi-grade fish that is suitable for raw consumption. It is not enough to just buy “fresh fish” from the stores, you must make sure it is fresh and safe to eat raw. Be sure to confirm with your fishmonger that the fish is sashimi grade.
This quick and easy recipe makes a delectable light dish that’s seafood lovers will certainly enjoy.
- 400g kingfish, tuna, sea bass, or other sashimi-grade fish suitable for raw eating
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp. green chili/fresh jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (or lemon juice)
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ table salt
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into ½” cubes
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Cut the fish into ½ ” cubes.
- Place in a bowl with onion, jalapeño, tomato, black pepper, and lime juice. Gently toss, then set aside for 5 minutes, mixing gently once.
- Add avocado then serve!
- Sprinkle over salt, then add avocado, coriander, and olive oil.
- Gently stir, then serve immediately with corn/ tortilla chips, crostini bread, or just as is.
- Ceviche will be good for about 20 minutes or so before the fish starts to overcook and firm up. For food safety, do not leave ceviche overnight.