What if I told you, you can prepare orange chicken that tastes as heavenly as the one from your favorite Chinese restaurant right at home?
This orange chicken is made from scratch, with easily available ingredients, and still has the same incredible flavor.
This Chinese Orange Chicken is made with chicken breast that is boneless and skinless. The chicken breast is then cut into bite-size pieces and then fried until golden and crispy. The crispy chicken pieces are then coated with a sweet, spicy and amazingly flavorful orange sauce.
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 3 Eggs whisked
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce (use tamari for a gluten-free dish)
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar or White Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- Orange Zest from one orange
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Orange Zest for garnishing
- Green Onions for garnishing
- Start by making the orange sauce. In a medium pot, over medium heat, add the orange juice, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and red chili flakes and heat for about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons of water to form a paste. Then add to the orange sauce, whisk together and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Once the sauce is thickened, remove from heat and add orange zest, then set aside.
- To cook the chicken, start by placing the flour and cornstarch in a shallow dish, add a pinch of salt and stir to combine.
- In a separate shallow dish, whisk the eggs well.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg mixture and then the flour mixture and place on plate.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, heat 2 -3 inches of oil until 350 degrees.
- Working in batches, cook several chicken pieces at a time for about 2 – 3 minutes, turning regularly until golden brown.
- When well cooked, place the chicken on a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat until all the chicken is cooked.
- Toss the chicken in the orange sauce to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle with green onion and orange zest, if you like.
- Serve and enjoy.