This Chocolate Swiss Roll is the ultimate treat for chocolate lovers and pretty much anyone with a sweet tooth.
This dessert is made when a chocolate sponge cake is filled with a rich chocolate mousse filling and drizzled with chocolate ganache on top. Simply put, it is dessert paradise!
Feel free to make variations to this Swiss roll, like changing the filling, adding a different flavor combinations like peanut butter, fruits or anything you like.
- ½ cup (63g) flour
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- ¼ cup (30g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 2 tbsp (28g) oil
- 4 eggs
- ½ tsp (1g) instant coffee
- ½ tsp (2g) salt
- ½ cup (120g) whipping cream
- 1 cup (240g) whipping cream, chilled
- 5 oz (150g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp (30g) whipping cream
- 1 oz (30g) semi-sweet chocolate
- Cocoa powder for dusting
Prepare the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Grease a 12X16 inch (30×40 cm) baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add in the eggs and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is yellow and foamy.
- Add in the oil and mix until well incorporated then add the instant coffee.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking tray and spread evenly using a spatula.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Take a parchment paper and sprinkle with cocoa powder, this helps the cake not stick. Flip the cake over the paper and remove the parchment paper it was baked with.
- Roll the cake while it’s still hot with the parchment paper inside. (You will have to do it while is still hot/warm otherwise it cracks)
- Allow to cool completely.
Prepare the filling:
- Add the chocolate and cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water and melt over low heat.
- In another bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Then mix in the melted chocolate until well combined.
- Unroll the cake and spread the chocolate filling evenly over the cake.
- Roll the cake back up and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Dust the roll with cocoa powder.
- To make the ganache, simply melt the chocolate with same amount of cream and use a spoon or a piping bag fitted with a small tip and drizzle the chocolate over the roll as you like.
- Allow the ganache to set for few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.