This yummy and easy to make chocolate zucchini cake is so moist, fudgy & full of chocolate goodness! Aside from the amazing flavor, this cake has a few healthy and vegetable benefits from the inclusion of zucchini.
However, there is no taste of zucchini, all you can taste is just endless chocolate. Before you start preparing your cake, make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature.
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 250g caster sugar
- 340g zucchini, grated
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- 125ml sour cream or plain full fat yogurt
- 60g cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 125 ml sunflower oil
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 60g dark chocolate chips
For the Ganache:
- 40g unsalted butter
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Line a baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer, add in the butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time and continue mixing until well incorporated.
- Gradually add in the oil and vanilla and mix till well combined.
- Then add in the dry ingredients in three parts alternating with sour cream/yogurt. Mix only until all the ingredients are incorporated. Be keen not to over mix.
- Add in the zucchini and chocolate chips and fold them in gently using a spatula. Then transfer the batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before spreading chocolate ganache.
- To make ganache: Put the butter and the dark chocolate chips in a pan on low heat and mix until melted and well combined. Allow to cool slightly then spread onto your cake.
- Serve and enjoy.