This dairy-free chocolate fudge cake is so moist, rich and fudgy. The cake is absolutely delicious and perfectly sweet, but without the overpowering sugary taste.
This cake is made with dairy free chocolate, olive oil and almond milk, it is a simple mix and
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (390g)
- 1 cup sugar (200g)
- 1 ½ cups dark cocoa powder (180g)
- 1 cup coconut oil (240g), melted
- 3 cups almond milk (710mL)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups applesauce (380g)
- 1 ½ cups maple syrup (505g)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- berries of choice, for garnish
For the frosting:
- 3 cups dairy-free chocolate chunk (510g)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (240g)
- 30 oz full-fat coconut milk (880mL)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (60g), melted
- In a small pot on the stove or in a microwave-safe measuring cup, heat the coconut milk until hot, but not boiling.
- Put the dairy-free chocolate in a large bowl and pour the hot coconut milk over it to melt the chocolate. Then mix well to combine.
- Once the chocolate is melted, add in the coconut oil and powdered sugar. Then beat with a hand mixer until smooth. Then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease three separate 8-inch (20-cm) round cake pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the whole wheat flour, dark cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a different bowl, add the almond milk, coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Then whisk to combine.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in two batches, folding with a spatula until just combined.
- Transfer the batter into the 3 prepared cake pans and bake for about 35–45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Take the frosting out of the fridge and mix it up well.
- Lay one cake on a cake plate and cover evenly with about 1 cup (115 G) of frosting. Top with the second layer and frost evenly again. Then add the final layer of cake and frost the top and the sides of the cake generously.
- Top with the berries of your choice for garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!