These delicious homemade donuts are crispy on the outside and so soft, light and airy in the inside. The donuts are made with buttermilk ensuring they are moist and tender.
They are so easy and simple to make and are perfect as a snack, dessert or a great accompaniment to your tea/coffee for breakfast.
- 16 oz (454g) all-purpose or bread flour
- 2 oz (57g) sugar
- 2 oz (57g) butter, melted
- 1 ½ tsp (3.5 g) regular or quick-rise yeast
- 5 oz buttermilk (150 ml)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) water
- 1 tsp salt
- oil for frying
- Sugar for coating the doughnuts
- Jam, Nutella and or whipped cream for the filling (optional)
- Add the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together, then set aside.
- Add the 6 tbsp of lukewarm water in a cup and sprinkle the yeast on top, set aside for about 5 minutes, until the yeast begins to react.
- Make an indentation in the center of the dry ingredients, then pour in the buttermilk, egg, melted butter and yeast mixture.
- Once the dough has doubled, place it on a floured surface and knead lightly. Divide it in half, keeping half the dough covered, so it doesn’t form a skin.
- With a rolling pin, roll out half of the dough to thickness. Cut with a round, sharp cookie cutter then make the holes with a smaller cookie cutter, saving the holes.
- Place each doughnut on a piece of parchment or waxed paper, then place on a cookie sheet. Put the tray in the oven.
- Then boil some water and pour it into a jug, place the jug of water in the oven with the tray of doughnuts.
- With the remaining dough, divide into quarters, then divide each piece in half to make 8 equal amounts.
- Roll each piece of dough into a smooth ball, and place on parchment or waxed paper pieces and place on a cookie sheet, place in the oven with the other doughnuts to rise until doubled in size.
- Heat the oil to about 350ºF (180º) then carefully put the doughnuts into the hot oil and cook. Turn them over as soon as they become golden brown on the underside, then remove them and place on a paper towel lined platter once they are ready.
- Allow the doughnuts to cool then roll them in sugar to coat evenly.
- Serve and enjoy.