This quick butter chicken recipe yields a delicious chicken dish that is creamy and packed full of flavor. This simplified version of the popular Indian meal combines aromatic golden chicken pieces in a rich, delicious creamy curry sauce.
This simplified version is cooked all in one pan and pairs incredibly with a side of rice or naan!
- 910 g boneless, skinless chicken breast (2 lb), cubed
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
- 1 ½ cups yellow onion (225 g), diced
- 395g tomato sauce (14 oz )
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick (8cm)
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- rice, for serving
- fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a large bowl, season the cubed chicken breast with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and a teaspoon of turmeric. Let it sit for about 15 minutes to marinate.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add in the chicken pieces and brown, then remove from the pot.
- Then melt another 2 tablespoons of butter in the pot, add the onion, garam masala, remaining teaspoon of chili powder, the cumin, ginger, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Then add the water and cream and return to a simmer.
- Add the browned chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the last 2 tablespoons of butter and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken over rice or naan and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!