This Easy Buttermilk Cornbread is sweet and so yummy with a crisp golden crust and a soft, moist, and fluffy center. This delicious cornbread makes for the perfect side to all your stews, soups, or chilies.
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own at home! Simply add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice to 1 cup of room temperature milk (full cream, 2% or skim can be used). Mix together and allow to sit for about 10 minutes. Then your buttermilk is ready.
To store your cornbread, keep it tightly covered, it should stay fresh for a few days at room temperature. You can also keep it in the fridge for about a week.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (or polenta)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (or white granulated sugar)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400F°) and position a rack in the middle.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or 9-inch square baking dish with butter, then place the skillet/dish into the oven to heat up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk, honey, and eggs. Then mix together until well combined.
- Add in the slightly cooled melted butter and mix again until just combined, be keen not to over mix.
- Remove the ‘hot’ pan or dish from the oven with oven mitts, and pour the batter into the hot skillet or dish. It should sizzle a bit when you pour in the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20-23 minutes or until the cornbread begins to brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy.