This delicious vegan butter chicken is rich and creamy and full of nutrients. It is made with tofu instead of chicken and creamy cashew cream instead of dairy and heavy creams. Every ingredient used to make this tasty dish is vegan and gluten free.
Preparing this meal is so easy and only takes about half an hour to get ready. I like to serve this with a hot plate of rice for a delicious and satisfying meal.
- 1 package organic firm or extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- ½ cup raw cashews + 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with the juice (28 oz)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Press your tofu for at least 20 minutes.
- Add the raw cashews and almond milk in a high speed blender and blend until completely smooth then set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat, then add in the ginger, garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in all the spices and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, maple syrup, cubed tofu and cashew mixture and mix well then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to your desired taste.
- Serve with rice and fresh cilantro.