These egg-free dinner rolls come out so soft and fluffy with the perfect balance of salt and sugar. I promise these taste better than anything store-bought and will pair amazingly with any sauce or gravy you like.
You can use all-purpose or plain flour, but I recommend bread flour if you want your dinner rolls to come out very soft, and airy.
- 4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting work surface
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing
- In a large bowl, mix together the yeast, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and warm water. Then allow to sit for about 10 minutes until foamy and frothed.
- Add the milk and butter into a microwave-safe jug then microwave for about 40-50 seconds, or until the butter has half-melted and milk is luke-warm. Add in the remaining sugar and salt then stir lightly until the butter completely melts through the milk, and the sugar dissolves. Then add to the yeast mixture in the bowl.
- Add in 2 cups of flour, giving it a light mix to combine with a wooden spoon, then add in the other remaining 2 cups of flour. Mix for about a minute until starting to pull away from the walls of the bowl.
- Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and use the extra flour in tablespoon increments to knead for about 5 minutes, until smooth, elastic, and slightly sticky. Lightly oil your hands if the dough gets too sticky.
- Transfer the dough back into the bowl and cover with a warm damp towel. Place in a warm place and allow to double in size for about one hour.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly for about 30 seconds to bring the dough together. Cut the dough in half, then cut both halves into 6 equal pieces to have 12 equal pieces in total.
- Arrange rolls, smooth side up into a lightly greased 9×13-inch baking pan or dish that is lined with parchment paper if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F/190˚C (or 350°F/180°C for fan-forced ovens).
- Lightly spray rolls with cooking oil spray, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise again for about 30 minutes until just about doubled in size.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the dinner rolls are golden brown in color.
- When done, lightly brush with a little extra melted butter, and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Serve and enjoy your egg-free dinner rolls.