This delicious eggless yellow sponge cake is light, moist and loaded with flavor. It is easy to prepare, hassle-free and tastes amazing. Since this cake is made with both butter and oil, it stays soft for long and still full of butter flavor.
This is simply a must-have recipe for every baker who’s in need of a great eggless sponge base cake or an easy plain cake.
- 188g all-purpose Flour (1½ cup)
- 170g castor sugar (¾ cup)
- 56g butter, slightly melted (¼ cup)
- 56g vegetable oil (¼ cup)
- 50g corn starch (½ cup)
- 250ml milk (1 cup)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F.
- Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, add in the milk and sugar then bring to a boil just until the sugar melts then remove from the heat.
- Add the corn starch in the milk mixture, and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Then add in the butter and oil and whisk well to incorporate.
- Add the vanilla essence, mix to combine then set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add in the flour, baking powder and baking soda and whisk well to evenly distribute the other ingredients in the flour.
- Then slowly add the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until there are no lumps. Be keen not to over mix.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and tap the pan on the counter couple of times to release any air bubbles trapped in the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 40-45 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.