These delicious honey butter rolls are so pillowy-soft, tender, light and fluffy.
Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before you start preparing your rolls. Also, be sure your yeast is good by proofing it. Proofing yeast means you activate it and make sure it is alive. Simply add a little sugar into yeast-water mixture sugar, sugar is like food to yeast.
Also note that baking bread with milk gives the rolls a richer and softer texture, and will also make the crust tender.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (may need more)
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 Tablespoons + ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/3 cups warm whole milk
- 1/3 cup very warm water
- 1 envelope active dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 4 Tablespoons butter softened
- 3 Tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- In a bowl, add the warm water and sprinkle in the yeast and ¼ teaspoon of sugar then stir gently until combined. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes until foamy then pour the yeast mixture into a large bowl and add 5 tablespoons sugar, warm milk, egg, salt, and butter. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add in the flour, mixing well after each addition using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the dough to a large, greased bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm area to rise for about 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Then transfer the dough to a floured surface and add just enough flour to the dough and hands to handle the dough without it sticking to your hands and knead.
- Divide the dough into two equal balls then roll out the balls into 13-inch circles (like a pizza).
- Then use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into small wedges.
- Brush the sliced dough with honey butter then roll each wedge up starting at the widest end.
- Place rolls on a greased cookie sheet with the pointed tip tucked under. Then cover with a plastic wrap and place in a warm area to rise again for about an hour until the rolls are doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Then place the rolls in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Brush hot rolls with the remaining honey butter and serve warm.