If you like a delicious light, airy and fluffy Swiss roll cake, then this will be the best Swiss roll cake you’ll ever taste!
For the best results, make sure your eggs are at room temperature before you start preparing your Swiss roll cake.
- 1 ¼ cup cake flour
- 6 eggs whites and yolks separated
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup white sugar for egg yolk mixture
- ⅓ cup white sugar for egg white meringue
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste/vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup homemade cranberry sauce or any filling of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the egg yolks, ½ cup of sugar, salt, corn syrup, vanilla, and water. Set the bowl inside a larger mixing bowl with warm water and beat on high until pale yellow with ribbons form. (This ensures the sugar melts and easily incorporates with the other ingredients to give an airy egg yolk batter.) Then remove from the warm water bath and set aside.
- To make the egg white meringue: In a separate mixing bowl, add in the egg whites and beat on high until soft peaks form. Then add the ⅓ cup of sugar in three equal parts, beating each time until well incorporated. Continue to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add ½ of the egg white meringue to the egg yolk mixture and gently fold it in until it’s mostly mixed in. The batter should be light and airy.
- Then sift together the flour and baking powder and add this into the batter in three equal parts, gently folding after each addition.
- Warm the oil in a microwave until it’s warm to the touch. Take out ¼ cup of the combined batter from the previous step and completely mix this into the warm oil. Then fold this back into the combined batter. Next, add the entire batter to the remaining egg white meringue and fold it in gently.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan, gently tap the pan twice on a work surface to remove large air bubbles.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- When the cake is ready, take it out, invert the pan onto a clean, slightly damp kitchen towel and remove the parchment paper from the bottom. Then roll up the cake and hold it in place.
- Once the cake is slightly warm to the touch, unroll the cake and spread with your preferred jam or jelly filling.
- Serve and enjoy.