This Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake is so tender and moist with just the right amount of a buttery lemon flavoring. Topped with a lovely lemon glaze, (though this is optional and you can make the cake without the glaze and it will still taste incredible.)
For best results, make sure all your ingredients are room temperature before you begin preparing the cake.
To really enjoy the citrusy flavor, bake this cake at least a day before serving it. You can store this pound cake for 3-4 days at room temperature, and up to a week in the refrigerator.
- 3 Cups Cake Flour
- 8 Ounces (226 grams) Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 3 to 4 Fresh Whole Lemons
- Zest of 2 Lemons ( ½ for the cake/ ½ for the glaze)
- 2 Cups (400 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 3 Sticks (1½ Cups) Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- ¼ Cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 6 Eggs, room temperature
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter and flour a cake pan then tap off the excess flour.
- Zest 2 of the lemons, divide the zest into two halves and set aside to use for the batter and glaze.
- Then squeeze enough juice from all of the lemons for ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon for the glaze and set aside.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer mix the cream cheese and butter together for about two minutes until creamy and well combined.
- Add in the sugar and continue to mix for about 2 more minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time mixing after each addition then add in the lemon juice.
- Then add in the flour mixture 1 cup at a time and remember to scrape down the bowl as needed so the batters is well blended.
- Then fold in the zest of 1 lemon using a spatula.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan and lightly tap the pan on a surface to settle the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then invert it onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Making the Lemon Glaze:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour the glaze over the cake.