Buttermilk pancakes are certainly the ultimate comfort food for most of us. Its’ no wonder they are a staple weekend breakfast inclusion at most homes. This recipe will have you and your family hooked as it is really easy but will guarantee the tastiest pancakes.
The secret to light, fluffy and delicious pancakes like the ones served at your favorite diner is really quite simple- Do not over mix the batter.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients i.e the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently until combined-there should be lumps in the batter. Be keen not to over mix the batter or the pancakes will be dense and flat rather than light and fluffy.
- On medium-low heat, place a nonstick pan and lightly grease with cooking oil.
- Scoop the batter onto the hot pan.
- Wait till bubbles form then flip the pancakes once and continue cooking for a few minutes until the pancakes are cooked throughout.
- Serve while warm with maple syrup or other toppings of your choice. Enjoy.