This delicious chocolate mug cake is the absolute perfect treat for when I need a little chocolate fix! It is so soft, fluffy, and chocolaty and takes about just a minute to prepare.
The best part about this specific recipe is this cake is low fat and low in calories. Meaning, you can still have it when watching your weight and not feel guilty for indulging a little.
This low-fat chocolate mug cake makes for a perfect breakfast treat, a quick snack, or delightful dessert.
- 2 tablespoons self-raising flour (30 g)
- 2 level teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon natural granulated sweetener
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon reduced-fat butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¾ tablespoon mini chocolate chips of choice (milk or dark), divided
- Spray a ½ cup capacity mug with cooking oil spray.
- Add the flour, sweetener (or sugar), cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into the mug. Then whisk to combine.
- Add in the melted butter, milk, and vanilla.
- Fold in ½ tablespoon of chocolate chips and mix them through. Then top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- If using a microwave: Place in the microwave and bake on ‘Quick’ or High’ setting for 40 seconds. Open the door and gently touch the top with your fingertip. If it’s still a little underdone in the middle, bake for another 10 seconds until cooked through (not too long, as the cake will continue cooking in the mug once it’s removed).
- If using an oven: Preheat oven to 180°C | 350°F. Spray a ½ cup capacity ramekin with cooking oil spray. Transfer the cake batter into the ramekin and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- You can serve as is, or with fruit, icing sugar, ice cream, or whipped cream.