These moist chocolate muffins are a total dream! Most times, chocolate muffins come out dry because of the cocoa used in preparing them. But we have all the tricks in this recipe to make sure your muffins turn out moist, tender, and delicious.
In this recipe, we use hot milk to bloom the cocoa, and brown sugar to keep the crumb moister compared to white sugar. Adding in sour cream, oil, and an egg also goes the extra mile to keep the crumb tender and moist. We then add just a little bit of coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor. Don’t worry, you won’t taste the coffee!
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder sifted
- 1 tbsp. instant coffee powder (optional)
- ¾ cup hot milk
- ½ cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream or thick plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 210°C / 410°F (190°C fan).
- Place the shelf in the top 1/3 of the oven.
- Line a 12-hole standard muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift the cocoa then add coffee and HOT milk. Whisk until smooth and lump-free.
- Add the sugar, oil, egg, sour cream, and vanilla into the cocoa mixture. Whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the wet mix into the bowl holding the flour and whisk until smooth. Do not over-mix, stop once it’s smooth.
- Add in about ¾ of the chocolate chips and stir, reserve about ¼ cup for topping.
- Divide the batter equally into the lined muffin tin.
- Top with the reserved chocolate chips.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes. (The higher temperature will kick start the rise.)
- Then turn the oven temperature down to 190°C / 375°F (170°C fan) and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. (Don’t confuse melted chocolate with raw batter)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool the in muffin tin for a few minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy.