This Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting has a perfect balance of sweet and salty topped with rich buttery goodness.
This Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting pairs deliciously well with just about any cake. But it is especially incredible with chocolate, pumpkin, apple and spice cakes.
Be sure to use a good-quality unsalted butter for excellent results. Take the butter out of the fridge and allow to sit for about 60 minutes to soften it to room temperature. If you use salted butter, be sure to adjust the salt amount as needed so your frosting doesn’t come out too salty.
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter for about 1 minute.
- Add in the salted caramel sauce and vanilla extract, then beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, remembering to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Then add in the powdered sugar and salt, and beat on low speed until all the powdered sugar is well incorporated.
- Increase the speed to medium, and beat for about two to three minutes until smooth and well-combined.