This homemade Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken is not just incredibly finger-licking, Its sweet, sticky sauce has all the allure of your favorite takeout but is made of healthy, natural ingredients easily found in your kitchen.
Please note that if you want to make the recipe gluten free, you can use gluten-free tamari in place of the soy sauce.
- 3 large bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup blackberry jam
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Green onions and Sesame seeds for garnishing
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker so that they are not overlapping.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, blackberry jam, hoisin, olive oil, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper flakes, and then pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on low for 4 to 5 hours until the chicken is fully cooked. (If you are available, flip the chicken over once halfway through to coat both sides, don’t worry if you can’t, it will still be tasty.)
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place it on a plate.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the slow cooker cooking liquid. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bones from the chicken and then use two forks to shred the chicken into smaller pieces. You can also use your fingers to shred if the chicken has cooled enough.
- Place the shredded in the slow cooker and stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Serve the chicken topped with green onions and sesame seeds.
Note: You can serve this Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken with white/brown rice, cauliflower rice, steamed veggies, noodles or vegetable fried rice.