This soft traditional butter cake is fluffy, moist and delicious with a lovely light and buttery texture.
This cake makes for a delightful dessert, a perfect accompaniment to your tea, coffee or milk. The cake is best served warm or at room temperature.
To store any leftovers, simply wrap up the leftover cake with aluminum foil or plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.
- 1½ cups plain flour (190g)
- 1 cup caster sugar (200g)
- ½ cup butter, softened (113g)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup of milk, room temperature
- ½ baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and line a 9 inch round cake tin or 8 by 8 square cake tin with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder, then set aside.
- Then combine the milk and vanilla extract and set aside.
- Using a hand/stand mixer, cream the butter until light then add the sugar gradually and continue to cream until very fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, until the mixture turns pale in color.
- Add the dry sifted dry ingredients into the butter mixture alternating with the milk mixture until you get a smooth batter with no lumps. (You can add lemon zest here if you want some lemon flavor in your cake.)
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan, then bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the center of the cake is set.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it cool for about 10-20 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Serve and enjoy.