I have made this spicy bean and beef pie recipe severally and it’s a hit with the whole family each single time! The pie is so delicious and very satisfying. The filling itself is incredibly tasty and could easily stand alone as a dip.
It is pretty easy to put together this dish and it doesn’t take much time either.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean with bacon soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick and chunky picante sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup sliced green onions, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 can (2 ¼ ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the beef until it is no longer pink.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute then drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, 1 cup of picante sauce, cornstarch, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Fold in the beans, 1 ½ cups of cheese, ½ cup onions and the beef mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to make two crusts to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- Line the pie plate with the bottom crust, then fill with the bean mixture. Top with the remaining crust, then seal and flute the edges. Then cut small slits in the top crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425° for 30-35 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with the sour cream, olives and the remaining picante sauce, cheese and onions.
- Serve and enjoy.