This delicious creamy sweet potato pie is mildly spiced and very easy to prepare. It is a popular treat for the holidays and makes for an unforgettable gift to give to friends and family.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the sweet potatoes in a saucepan, add water to cover and bring to a boil.
- When it begins boiling, reduce the heat, uncover the saucepan and cook for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and mash until very smooth then allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together, add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the milk, two cups mashed sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Place in the oven and bake at 425° for 15 minutes the reduce heat to 350° and continue baking for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, serve and enjoy.