These delicious breakfast corndogs make for an amazing first meal for your day.
This breakfast corn dog is made by dipping juicy breakfast sausage links in a maple syrup–cornmeal batter and deep frying them to golden brown perfection that leaves you with a yummy sweet and savoury taste. Serve extra maple syrup on the side to use as your dip.
- 14 breakfast sausages
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 g)
- 3 tablespoons bacon, cooked, finely chopped
- 1 cup milk (240 mL)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup butter (60 g), melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups canola oil (960 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil for 1 minute. Add the breakfast sausages to the pan and cook for 12 minutes, turning constantly, until crispy and browned all over.
- Drain the sausages on paper towels and allow to cool.
- Insert a small ice pop stick in each sausage, try to keep the stick aligned in the center of the sausage, then set aside.
- Make the batter: In a bowl, combine together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda. Use your hands to make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the milk, eggs, and melted butter into the well, then stir the center working your way out until the mixture is thick and well-combined.
- Fold in the bacon into the mixture.
- Heat the canola oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat until it reaches 180°C.
- Pour the pancake batter into a tall glass, then dip a sausage stick into the mixture by holding the stick and rotating the sausage as needed until it’s completely covered with batter..
- Use tongs to gently place the battered sausage into the hot oil and cook for about two minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels or a cooling rack and repeat with all the remaining sausages.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup.
- Serve and enjoy!