This tasty creamy broccoli soup is so full of flavor and its very quick and easy to make. It keeps rather well and the flavors are even better the next day, meaning it’s good for meal prep too.
This cheesy broccoli soup pairs perfectly with fresh bread, for the ultimate vegan comfort food.
If you would like to incorporate some milk, you can use 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk and 2 cups broth. In this recipe, I used all broth. You can also add in a little plant milk at the end to make the soup extra creamy.
- 6 cups broccoli, chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- In a large soup pot, cook the onions in the olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly as needed. (To make it oil-free, you can cook the onions in 2 tbsp of water or broth. Add more as needed if the pan starts to dry out)
- Add the garlic, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper then cook for a few more minutes.
- Add in the vegetable broth and chopped broccoli and bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Switch off the heat and stir in the nutritional yeast and lemon juice.
- Transfer all the soup into a blender and blend to your desired consistency.
- If you prefer chunky broccoli soup, remove only half of the soup and puree, leaving the rest behind.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot. If it’s too thick for your liking, stir in some extra broth or unsweetened almond milk to adjust the consistency to your preference.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.