This Yellow Butter Cake is so soft, sweet with a buttery and velvety texture and a tender crumb.. This cake gets its delicately rich flavor and yellow color from using egg yolks only to make the batter. It is also pretty easy and quick to prepare.
The cake batter is made using the ‘creaming’ method where the butter and sugar are first beaten together and then the egg yolks, before the flour and milk are added.
The secret to make sure your yellow butter cake comes out perfect every time is to make sure the butter, egg yolks, and milk are at room temperature before you start making your cake.
- 3 cups (300 grams) sifted cake flour
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 large egg yolks (110 grams)
- 1-1/3 cups (265 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk (full fat or reduced-fat)
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Grease and flour a cake pan or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt then set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or in a mixing bowl and using a hand mixer) beat the butter for about 2 minutes until soft and creamy.
- Gradually add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg yolks, in two batches, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Then add in the vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add in the flour mixture, in three batches, and milk in two additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan to a wire rack to cool off completely.
- You can choose a topping of your liking like chocolate frosting, buttercream etc or enjoy plain.
- Serve and enjoy.