This is the kind of classic, layer cake that is the foundation of most birthday cakes, and undoubtedly a real crowd pleaser. This lovely cake has a fluffy melt in your mouth texture, is moist and tender.
You can enjoy this yellow cake as it is or you can frost it with anything you like from chocolate frosting to vanilla butter frosting.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (270g)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (113g)
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar (250g)
- ¼ cup corn starch (35g)
- 1 cup buttermilk (240mL)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (60mL)
- 3 eggs room temperature, large
- 2 yolks
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (15mL)
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter three 6 inch round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, corn starch, and salt then set aside.
- In a stand mixer using a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add in the oil and vanilla, and mix to combine.
- Then add in the eggs and yolks one at a time, mixing after each addition until well incorporated before adding the next. Scrape the bowl down as needed.
- Add in the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter in alternating batches, beginning and ending with the flour, while mixing on low.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans, and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the centers are set and springy.
- Allow to cool in the pans for a few minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy.